Sugary drinks add 300 calories a day to youths' diets

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Sola, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Sola

Sola Administrator Staff Member

Teens who drink soda, energy drinks and other sugary beverages are guzzling about 327 calories a day from them, which is equal to about 2½ cans of cola, new government data shows.

And people ages 20-39 who drink sugary beverages consume 336 calories a day from them.

Some people are getting a lot of their daily calories from these drinks, says Cynthia Ogden, an epidemiologist with the National Center for Health Statistics, part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which conducted this survey.

The latest analysis shows that half of people in the USA drink sugary beverages on any given day; and about 25% consume at least 200 calories a day from them.

MORE

Buda Atum likes this.
  2. Kenna

Kenna in love....with my music!

Not surprising here...I actually think it's more than the numbers they are showing. I've seen teens drink a liter of soda and that's more that the 300 or so calories they are showing here. One of the quickest ways to lose weight is to reduce the soda intake..not to mention all those nasty carbs creeping up on you!